Friday 16 November 2007

56. Give sushi another try.

Status: Yuck

I wish I liked sushi.....I really do, and I like to think I'm fairly open-minded when it comes to food (despite my meat-and-potato upbringing, which turned me completely off meat and, honestly, potatoes, by the time I was 12). I can't think of any cultural cuisine that I could completely write off, and even Japanese food has elements that I can.....tolerate. But sushi is just foul.

I've given it the old college try before, resulting in absolute disdain. But it just looks so cool to eat.....so trendy, so hip! I desperately want to be a part of this, not stuck in a stuffy spaghetti and meatballs routine like my parents! So I decided to give sushi another chance, and when I was invited out to a sushi restaurant a few days ago, I accepted......with only a bit of nervous hesitation.

I love the atmosphere, the dim lighting, taking off your shoes, sitting cross-legged in the booth......if only the food wasn't so vile. The problem isn't the rice....or the cucumber....it's the damn seaweed that's wrapped around it! Even before I was a vegetarian, I refused to eat absolutely anything that came out of water....so if it wasn't wrapped in weeds ripped from the sea....I think I could actually enjoy it. Why can't they wrap it in fruit roll-ups? Needless to say, I ended up peeling the seaweed off every roll and eating a mess of rice and cucumber.

So there you have it, I tried and failed. It'll be tempura for me from now on.

3 comments:

matt said...

Truthfully, I was unsold on sushi for a long time. And I'm still not convinced about the seaweed. I sort of just tilt my head back and let it slide down, like I'm a duck.

But I don't go for the daring stuff - it's always the sushi I can actually recognise as the food that's in it. It's when the utterly indiscriminate stuff comes past on that train (easily the best part of the meal) that I'm reminded why I prefer pizza.

Jackie West said...

See, I've never been to one with a "train". No wonder I don't care for the stuff!

Bodie said...

haha not all the sushi has seaweed around it tho some don't just eat those ones yum yum!