Thursday 20 December 2007

17. Go to the Nutcracker at Christmas time.

Status: Cultured.

I've been wanting to go to the full professional production of the Nutcracker (to complete my "Christmas spirit" list) for ages, but it's sooooooo expensive! Well this year, having worked part-time the entire semester, I decided that I could afford it (nevermind that I spent every last cent of my earnings last month in a Spice Girls fury.) We got all dolled up and headed out in the blizzard-like conditions to the fancy "Jube" to have our cultural experience. The whole thing was so over the top, I felt underdressed, and I was wearing a dress! There were people decked out in full length ball gowns and tiaras.

The ballet was excellent....and made me a little nostalgic. I was in my studio's production of the Nutcracker when I was 15, I played a kid in the party scene, and a snowflake in the winter scene....which are still arguably good parts.....but nothing compared to the Sugar Plum Fairy! Why oh why couldn't I have been the Sugar Plum Fairy?? It's just like my school's production of Alice in Wonderland when I was 9 (ish) and desperately wanted to be the cheshire cat.....and ended up being tweedle dee. :( Oh my hard life!

1 comment:

matt said...

Aww, I really wish I could have come!

Remind me never to dig up photos of me as Prince Charming for my Year 7 musical. Because I certainly wasn't wearing purple tights for the role.

I did have my own theme song, though; how awesome is that?