Wednesday 12 December 2007

11. Pass calculus with a B.

Status: AHAHAHA!

Short of a full-on Christmas miracle, this is not going to happen. Failing the midterm a little over a month ago put me in nerve-wrecking position for the final exam. You know you're in trouble when you've figured out that you need to score a 45% on the final just to pass the class, and you're worried that you can't even pull THAT off - a 45%!

With this reality on my mind, I tossed and turned all night, and then made the much dreaded walk to the Pavillion this morning. I was literally gagging on the way there, and my primary concern became not throwing up on the side of the road for everyone to see.

The exam went well.....considering. I would say the bad only slightly outnumbered the good, which is all I could have hoped for! The trig. limits completely baffled me, and my critical numbers in the concavity question were not easy to come by or work with (you try putting root of 2 into an already complicated function), but I breezed through the summations and integrals, and I'm fairly certain that I successfully determined the dimensions of a cylinder, if the length and circumference must add up to 168, that would hold the maximum volume, just in case the post office should misplace all of their tape measures and desperately need to know.

Whatever the outcome may be, it's a huge weight off my shoulders that it's over. And I'll tell you this much for certain. I am NOT taking calculus again if I fail. I'd rather drop out and turn to prostitution.

2 comments:

Trudy said...

dear god. the fact that you sat that exam astounds me.

oh and about the small town girls. my friends are either at the pregnant, buying houses or totally out of it on drugs stage. not so cool. Had a delightful day with Matt yesterday. ill have to add you on facebook so you can see the photos!

matt said...

I think the only phrase I understood in your third paragraph were "tape measures".

Unfortunately, I understood every word of your fourth paragraph and strongly disagree!