Wednesday 27 February 2008

91. Try a new fruit.

Status: Tried.

I'm fairly picky with food, I admit it. I do venture out occasionally, I throw around the "try everything once" philosophy, unfortunately it more often than not is only once, and then I return to things that are "vanilla" (i.e. - plain) enough for me. (I read an article in a newspaper a few days ago where the writer describe an idea as "vanilla", and have wanted to use it ever since.) And the same can be said for my chosen experimental fruit: papaya.

Visiting Mexico last week gave me the perfect opportunity to branch out fruit-wise. I'm accustomed to winter fruits up here in the great white north, but it was tropical fruits galore in the land of tequila. Our hotel offered an endless supply of pineapple, melons, and papaya....and with a tried and tested aversion to all things melon, I stuck to pineapple. After a few days, when I'd consumed copious amounts of pineapple (but not alcohol, strangely), resulting in a citric acid tongue burn, I remembered this item on my list and opted for the papaya. Well, I just said I had to try it, not like it. And as my previous record predicts, I hated it. Papaya tastes like vomit. But mmmmmm pineapple!

1 comment:

matt said...

Didn't like Papaya, didn't like sushi... I'm willing to bet you won't approve of gin.

And God help us when we go to Olive Garden!